Volunteering is a great way to develop new skills, meet like-minded people and make a real difference to your local community.
Volunteering is also hugely important to the Museums of Cheshire. Over 700 people each year give their energy and expertise to our museums and galleries. They spend over 66,000 hours annually supporting our venues, which given the funding cuts many museums are experiencing is vitally important. Without our volunteers many museums and galleries simply would not open their doors, and all kinds of special projects and activities would not take place.
News! – Volunteer Development Programme for current volunteers. Kindly funded by Museum Development North West.
Museums of Cheshire is proud to announce the launch of our 4-day volunteer training programme, which will be running from April to June 2018. This training opportunity is open to anyone who is currently volunteering within the museums and heritage sector in Cheshire and would like to build their skills base.
The volunteer training programme has been generously funded by Museum Development North West and will focus on 4 key skills, outlined below.
Bookings for this programme are being run on a first come, first served basis. There are 20 places available, so please RSVP quickly to avoid disappointment.
It is required that attendees are available for all 4 training sessions, which are being held at different sites across Cheshire. Volunteers must have the approval of their line manager.
Lunch and travel expenses will be provided for all delegates.
The timeline for the training sessions are as follows:
- Wednesday 18th April. Online skills and social media. The Old Sunday School, Macclesfield.
- Tuesday 8th May. Confidence and public speaking. Lion Salt Works, Northwich
- Thursday 17th May. Interpretation and editing skills. Norton Priory, Runcorn
- Tuesday 5th June. Project management skills. Grosvenor Museum, Chester
For more information about the accessibility and location of these locations, please see the attached document.
In order to register your interests please send the following details to Elsa Price at [email protected]
- Your name
- Name of your institution
- Your current role
- Name of your line manager (please copy your line manager in)
- Confirmation that you can attend all 4 training sessions
- Details of any dietary requirements
- Details of any accessibility requirements
- Details of any further travel assistance needed for the Lion Salt Works and Norton Priory sites
Please submit expressions of interest no later than Monday 19th March.
Our venues are really varied and there are lots of different opportunities to get involved. Last year our volunteers assisted with a wide range of projects including:
- Helping people research their family history in museum archives.
- Maintaining gardens and woodlands.
- Re-enacting historical events.
- Welcoming visitors to our museums and keeping our shops and cafés open.
- Supporting school pupils on museum visits.
- Investigating our collections as volunteer curators.
- Delivering talks, walks and workshops.
- Helping to run our organisations by becoming trustees and administrators.
Would you like to volunteer with a Museums of Cheshire venue? We have lots of opportunities whether you are a student looking for a placement, someone wanting to improve their CV, or if you simply have some spare time and want to do something fun and rewarding. Volunteering is also a great way to make new friends.
Check the map to find the venues closest to you, or browse by theme to find museums that spark your interest. Then contact the individual venue for details about the volunteering opportunities they have on offer.