The Williamson opened as a purpose-built gallery in 1928, funded by philanthropist and Cunard director John Williamson and his son Patrick. The gallery now displays fine art and ceramics from Wirral Borough Council’s collection, alongside a changing programme of exhibitions by local artists and displays developed in partnership with local community groups.
- The gallery houses the largest collection of Della Robbia pottery in the UK. The factory was based in Birkenhead and produced Arts and Crafts-style vases, presentation wares, clock cases and tiles.
- The Williamson collection includes more than 2,000 watercolours and drawings, including a JMW Turner watercolour which was once owned by Ruskin.
- The gallery hosts the biennial Wirral Society of Arts Open Show in which artists from all over the country submit their work and a number of prizes are awarded.